Surf Life Saving WA run a junior carnival series. Full details can be seen at http://surflifesavingwa.com.au/surf-sports/competitions/junior-competition.
Over 7,000 members participate in Surf Life Saving’s nipper programs run at Surf Life Saving Clubs throughout Western Australia. The clubs run nippers programs to introduce children to Surf Life Saving, the beach, rescue methods, surf sports and a range of other valuable life skills.
Nippers in the older age groups of Under 10’s through to Under 13’s have the opportunity to compete in nipper surf sports competition. Last season more than 1,300 nippers got the chance to compete in a number of local and State Surf Life Saving competitions.
Another big summer season of nipper surf sports competition is planned for 2016/17 with Healthway as our principle sponsor to ensure our members and spectators alike are SunSmart aware during our hot Australian summer. We have reviewed the way we deliver events and have implement a model which aims to increase the competitive opportunities for children in specific age groups whilst lessening the time on the beach. We will target each event at specific disciplines such as swims, boards, beach sprints and others so that competitors and their parents have some options to participation across the season. The following lists a summary of how each type of series will be run:
- Nipper Ocean Programs: U10 and U12 8am-10:30am, U11 and U13 10:30am-1pm
- Nipper Beach programs: Timing will differ depending on the program. Rounds 1 and 2 will occur at the same locations as Ocean events, Rounds 3 and 4 are separate locations.
- Nipper March Past and R&R will occur at the Senior Lifesaving Series events
- The Country Carnival is being run over two days. Beach events will occur at Middleton Beach on Saturday from approx. 2/3pm onwards. Water events will occur at Middleton Beach on Sunday morning (~8am-12pm) – Program TBC
- The Nipper State Championships will be run with March Past and Flags on Friday night and then traditional Saturday and Sunday programs
Here is a link to download a draft list of events and locations for the upcoming Surf Sports events. We are still awaiting council approval for some events and will update this page as soon as we gain the various approvals. We have also updated the SLSWA Team App which is a handy tool to have all information about sport and events at your fingertips. Download the free ‘Team App’ from the App Store and then search for SLSWA Sport. For any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact SLSWA’s Sport and Development department on (08) 9207 6666.
Schedule of events
- 2016/17 SunSmart Nipper Series
- Ocean Round 1 – 2016-11-06 @ Location TBA
- Beach Round 1 – 2016-11-06 @ Location TBA
- Ocean Round 2 – 2016-11-26 @ Leighton Beach
- Beach Round 2 – 2016-11-26 @ Leighton Beach
- Beach Round 3 – 2016-12-03 @ Location TBA
- Ocean Round 3 – 2016-12-11 @ Mullaloo Beach
- Beach Round 4 – 2016-01-14 @ Cottesloe Beach
- Ocean Round 4 – 2017-01-15 @ Location TBA
- Country Carnival Beach events – 2017-01-28 @ Middleton Beach, Albany
- Country Carnival Water events – 2017-01-29 @ Middleton Beach, Albany
- Nipper Beach Qualifier – 2017-02-11 @ Trigg Beach
- Nipper Ocean Qualifier – 2017-02-12 @ Trigg Beach
- Nipper State Championships Day 1 – 2017-03-10 @ Scarborough Beach
- Nipper State Championships Day 2 – 2017-03-11 @ Scarborough Beach
- Nipper State Championships Day 3 – 2017-03-12 @ Scarborough Beach
- 2015/16 SLSWA SunSmart Junior Carnivals – View results
- Round 1 – 2015-12-06 @ Coogee Beach
- Round 2 – 2016-01-09 @ Sorrento Beach
- Round 3 – 2016-01-23 @ Bunbury
- Round 4 – 2016-01-31 @ Leighton Beach